May 12, 2013

Chapter19: Dr. Nikidik's Famous Wishing Pills

Although they managed to keep the crows off through the Tin Woodman and the Scarecrow's outstanding effort to guard them, the Scarecrow got in serious trouble! All his stuffing was gone. 

His friends found a lot of dollar bills in the nest and stuffed them into the Scarecrow's body instead. Picture the Scarecrow, who is pure, innocent, and non-calculating, with his body full of dollar bills. It's odd, isn't it?

There was a statement that fifty-dollar, one hundred-dollar, and one-thousand dollar bills are stuffed in the Scarecrow's body. Have you ever seen a one thousand dollar bill? I've never even heard of them. I checked on Wikipedia and got the answer immediately.

There were five-hundred, one-thousand, five-thousand, and even ten-thousand dollar bills at one time. They were mainly used for settlements between banks. In 1945, those high-value bills stopped being printed. Following the emergence of the electronic settlement system, the high-value bills lost their necessity, and stopped circulating in 1969.

So, at the time of this book, "The Marvelous Land of Oz," they were a reality! I was really surprised that there were 10,000 dollar bills! But, yes, as there was no online system at that time, banks needed those bills. Imagine how scary it would be if a gust of wind blew away your 10,000 dollar bill. Whoosh!

The "count seventeen by twos" matter was solved by the Saw Horse, not the Scarecrow or the Woggle-bug. A novice happened to look into the problem and solved it easily even though the experts couldn't. That happens in real life too, doesn't it? The Scarecrow said, "You make me quite ashamed of myself," and bowed low to the Saw Horse. I guess he was a little disappointed  but he concealed his feeling and acted politely. How humble he was. Well, could it be the Scarecrow really said it from the heart? If so, it makes me admire him more.

However, I'm always confused when I read this. This solution doesn't make sense. One of my friends gave me an excellent solution. Why didn't they start from 1? 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, right? If you start from 0.5 and count by twos, your next number will be 2.5 then 4.5 and so on.

The Woggle-bug is actually a good guy. He swallowed the wishing pill without hesitation, saying " For I seem to be the only one able and willing to make a wish. Let me have one of the pills," after seeing how much pain Tip was in.It's just that his language is sometimes harsh. He always says more than he needs to. I know he doesn't mean to be mean, but it always makes the situation worse. ;( Yet, I know he isn't a bad person.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I completely don't get this counting thing. At first I thought just what You: 1, 3, 5, 7... And when the Saw Horse talked about halfs, I assumed they're gonna count the half as "one thing", so it would be 0 (1/2 omitted) 1 (1.5 omitted) 2 (2.5 omitted)... But the final solution just doesn't make any sense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I'm glad I'm not alone:D

      Delete