Feb 1, 2009

Chapter11 The Wonderful Emerald City of Oz

Finally, the time has come. They meet the Great Wizard of Oz.

The Great Wizard of Oz seems not to have known that Dorothy's house had fallen on the Wicked Witch of the East, killing her. He asked Dorothy how she got the silver slippers and the charm kiss from the Good Witch of the North. I thought he knew everything, but actually, he doesn't.:(

However, this was great that he made each of the four of them meet him privately, and every time, his appearance was different. It showed them (and us) how great the Great Wizard was. Super!

What I have been curious and skeptical of for long time is this; the Great Wizard of Oz asked each person "Why should I this for you?" Why?...such a thing...do you ask someone if you are a ruler? In the end, the story goes that if they want to ask the Wizard a favor, they should kill the Wicked Witch of the West first. Well, I expected something like "If you can kill the Witch, I would recognize that you would be worth of using my magic power as a reward for your effort." But the Wizard said only "Help me and I'll help you." This is nothing but "give and take." He doesn't seem to think he should care for his subjects because he has magic power. Fifty-fifty relationship. Ummm...is this, maybe, very American??

By the way, Mr. Scarecrow! You didn't need to stand still in the corner of the room allocated until the meeting to the Wizard, watching the spider weaving their net all night, even though I know you don't need to sleep at all. Don't you have anything else to do?;)

Dorothy seemed thoughtless in the previous chapters, but, in this chapter, she mentioned her opinion, "I don't want to kill anybody, even to see Aunt Em again." Ummm...but if she doesn't kill the Wicked Witch of the West... that means she could never go back to Kansas forever...this is a tough question, isn't it? If I were her?? Oz is a wonderful place, but I feel uncomfortable thinking of living in Oz for the rest of my life...but...ummm....what would you do if you were Dorothy?

Well, before thinking that, I'd like to say to Dorothy, "Your first worry should be about being killed by the Witch at first!" She isn't afraid of it at all:p Maybe, she believed in the strength of the charm from the Good Witch of the North:)

No comments:

Post a Comment